在澳大利亚 I need some advice regarding a property purchase. Property - semi-detached house Bedrooms - 2 Condition - average needs internal reno to modernise Street - one of the best in suburb Location - excellent Close to schools - yes Transport - 50m The pool at of an IP needs to be resurfaced (or so the pool doctor says), the cost was estimated to be $10K ($10,000), after recoverying from my impresssion of a cat coughing up a fur ball, it just seems far too much. Its just a standard poo
I've never had a brand new house and I was wondering if it's actually possible to keep a bathroom mould free. I've read that bleech feeds mould. I've only owned properties 9 + years old and bleach has been essential. Is it possible to not use bleach? If so what do you use? What do people use on brand new bathrooms and how long does it take before you have mould problems?
I think it depends on the bathroom, the ventilation and the orientation of the room.
We have never had a mould problem in our bathrooms. Upstairs family bathroom faces East and gets sideways morning sun, not full sun but at an angle. Window is open all year except middle of winter and ventilation is good with an IXL light/exhaust when needed.
Downstairs bathroom has a window into the garage, so no direct ventilation and still never gets mould.
With all the rain before the floods up here, our front door and surrounds were freckled with mould, but the bathrooms didn't get mouldy.
Of course, sometimes the grout lines do get a bit of mould, and I either use Easy Off Bam or straight bleach on a toothbrush (and which I try to avoid - but occasionally this stuff is necessary for a quick fix) or use oil of cloves in a spray bottle for a natural fix (needs more time to do its magic).
I agree with wylie. Bathrooms shouldn't get obvious mould apart from what you find occasionally between tiles, if ventilation is good and there are no other problems like drainage issues or leaks.
The only time we've ever had a few spots of mould was when our exhaust fan broke down in this house and we didn't replace it immediately.
Once fixed and the mould treated with 'exit mould' the problem didn't resurface.
As well as the above we have used a product called 'Damp Rid' which we purchased from a Bunnings Hardware store in WA. It comes in a small plant pot sized container which we place in a corner. It is a white granulated product which absorbs moisture from the air. Since we began using this about 2 years ago we have had no problem with mould in our bathroom at all.
Thanks everyone. Come to think of it every property I've had has had a structure coming off the bathroom so airflow would be restricted and definately no sun. My mums had a new bathroom put in her house and she always had problems with her old bathroom with mould/moisture. I'll check out that 'damp rid' (thanks for suggestion)! All the furniture in the bottom story of my mums house was spotted with mould with all the rain in Bris so she could use one there too.
In some of our rental properties, we've installed a better ventilation system. We've also wired it into the lights so it's difficult not to turn it on. We've never had a significant problem with mould in these properties.
There are also those 3 in 1 light, heater, extractor combination fittings, in which the heater adds to keeping the bathroom warm but dry.
My mother has one and it's great in winter both in keeping you warm and tackling the dampness.
Only problem is it's unattractive, imo.
Random Eagle said: ↑
As well as the above we have used a product called 'Damp Rid' which we purchased from a Bunnings Hardware store in WA. It comes in a small plant pot sized container which we place in a corner. It is a white granulated product which absorbs moisture from the air. Since we began using this about 2 years ago we have had no problem with mould in our bathroom at all.Click to expand...a pot of kitty litter does the same thing, it sucks up the moisture.
bleach just bleaches the mould white so you can't see it. cloves are good.
You could install the molded corner vents into the ceiling.
I have also found flat paint does not attract the mould like full gloss.
I can't work out why mould seems to grow on full gloss compared to flat
anyone have any idea's.
Pa1nter wil probably know..
Ed Barton said: ↑
a pot of kitty litter does the same thing, it sucks up the moisture.Cloves ? Do tell...
bleach just bleaches the mould white so you can't see it. cloves are good.Click to expand...
I got told the way you'd use bleach is to & spray it on, leave it, then use a scouring pad. But a painter told me not the best for the paint. He told me a different way to tackle it, but I've forgotten what it was.
jaycee said: ↑
Cloves ? Do tell...as whylie said
I got told the way you'd use bleach is to & spray it on, leave it, then use a scouring pad. But a painter told me not the best for the paint. He told me a different way to tackle it, but I've forgotten what it was.Click to expand...
use oil of cloves in a spray bottle for a natural fix (needs more time to do its magic).
My better half only uses vinegar and water to clean everything. Bleach only ever on shower if required but that is not that often.
Agree with regrow.
Bleach actually doesnt kill the mould, so it's a temporary fix and the mould will definitely grow back. Vinegar and water tend to work better.
To get rid of mould, spray with vinegar (it must be naturally fermented vinegar not just synthetic ascetic acid) diluted with water 90:10. There is a reason why you need the water but i can't remember it. If you spray, leave for a bit and brush, this should kill the mould. Then use diluted oil of cloves to prevent mould growing back.
where can you get the oil of cloves?
for soap scum at same time - bicarb spritzed with vinegar wipe off whilst fizzing, then diluted oil of cloves
OoC can be bought at most healthfood stores.
Pharmacy's sell oil of cloves. Great stuff.
Thanks for replies, will give it a go!