在澳大利亚 The pool at of an IP needs to be resurfaced (or so the pool doctor says), the cost was estimated to be $10K ($10,000), after recoverying from my impresssion of a cat coughing up a fur ball, it just seems far too much. Its just a standard poo I need some advice regarding a property purchase. Property - semi-detached house Bedrooms - 2 Condition - average needs internal reno to modernise Street - one of the best in suburb Location - excellent Close to schools - yes Transport - 50m
Hi all, I'm just wondering if many of you have experience with renovating older houses that most probably contain asbestos? Or know people that have asbestos related illness? What do you do if you suspect internal walls to contain asbestos?
Today when I was removing an internal wall in an old 1950's weatherboard house I noticed fibers within the cement render. I'm guessing it's asbestos, I'd probably already gotten a mouthful/lungful of the dust even wearing a mask...
It's gotten me a worried. I've been reading a bit on line about asbestos and I think I've had a fair bit of exposure in my life, especially after seeing what products etc all contain asbestos. I honestly don't know how people aren't dropping like flies.
Here's a link with a list of asbestos products found in Australia... it's crazy.
I used to work with people with asbestos related illness. All of the people I worked with had long term, regular exposure. To be honest, mesothelioma is a complete pig of a disease. Not something you would wish on your worst enemy...
but at the same time, you dont want to spend the next 20-30 years worrying about whether your limited exposure is going to lead to disease. I'm sure you have plenty of other things to worry about!!
But wherever you can, avoid being exposed and take proper precautions.......
reno said: ↑
Today when I was removing an internal wall in an old 1950's weatherboard house I noticed fibers within the cement render. I'm guessing it's asbestos, I'd probably already gotten a mouthful/lungful of the dust even wearing a mask...Click to expand...I'm not sure of your building knowledge, but older houses were lined with plasterboard reinforced with fibreglass. The fibres are really stringy and quite obvious.
Graingrower said: ↑
I'm not sure of your building knowledge, but older houses were lined with plasterboard reinforced with fibreglass. The fibres are really stringy and quite obvious.Click to expand...Reinforced with fibreglass? Not asbestos? Basically the walls are like mortar spread over lots of batons with fibers in it that look like hair.
It could be hair. Or hemp fibre. Or some other binder. That plaster was mixed on site when they did that sort of work and they didn't toss handfuls of asbestos in it.
Is it a rendered wall or a stud wall that's been plastered?
If its the latter you're probably just dealing with fibrous plaster, which was common from the 40s to the late 60s. Nothing to worry about.
If it is a rendered internal wall. I dont have a clue.
there are asbestos experts, we have to use to them on all the BER projects.
give them a call, they will come and tell you where the asbestos is (if any) and remove it correctly
not sure of costs though
I had a talk with an asbestos specialist and he told me to hold a lighter to the fibres, if they burn they are not asbestos. So that particular wall was fine.
There's some cement board walls that need removing, so I'll treat them as though they are asbestos and follow the guidlines for removal.
Any home built prior to around the mid-1970s will have asbestos in it.
Take all precautions, but don't panic. As a kid in the 1950s we collected fibro (i.e., asbestos) offcuts and made cubby houses out of them, cutting and nailing to our little hearts' content.
I had the same concern when renovating my place. I knew the fence was asbestos and then when working on the walls I started to get suspicious!
It was nothing to worry about and as everyone else here has explained its common for that period of property - so i found out! I like to call it my 'horse hair plaster'
1. wear disposable coveralls, P2 rated mask, gloves and eye protection.
2. avoid cutting, drilling, making airborne particles.
2a. seal off area (important. dust will travel thoughout your house etc...)
3. when drilling cutting etc... wet area down with water pva glue solution in spray bottle. spray whilst drilling. also vasaline around drill bit collects the dust particles. anything that you plan on keeping wash properly.
4. break off in big chunks. wrap in plastic twice, using thick plastic.
5. dispose of properly in tip that accepts it. (you dont want to throw it anywhere so someone else can get asbestosis)
6. GET SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT. is most recommended. they have all the gear and most likely trained to remove and dispose of it. also limits your exposure.
thats my 2c