澳洲Australia property High rise construction | Sydney

在澳大利亚


This is my first attempt at building a three story eight unit apartment complex. I thought I will post some information on progress for those that are interested.

To start with, we began tendering for the work around august last year after being referred to the client by Richard Luke (Mortgage Broker). We where not the cheapest however we ended up getting the contract as the client felt comfortable dealing with us.

We where due to start in October however, we discovered that the plans did not factor in a common party wall and the engineers has placed a water tank in an easement. This meant we had to go into negotiations with the neighbor to pull down a party wall and underpin his dwelling as we needed to excavate 3m on the boundary line for our basement car park and the neighbors dwelling is less than 1m from the boundary. After several discussions we finally got an agreement in late November. We did not see the point in cutting the site so late so we decided to start work in the new year.

The first step for the New Year was to appoint a site supervisor as we need someone on site on a permanent basis to ensure that things went smoothly. I ended up with a guy who has had a lot of experience with this kind of work and as a bonus he also has a lot of industry contacts.

The work site was always going to be a challenge due to its busy location on Ipswich Road, Annerley. We have been granted permission to use the council footpath for storage and scaffolding. The building foot print takes up almost all of the land.

The neighbor has been helpful by allowing us to place our site office on his block, use his power, toilet and water. Must be my charm:p

Since, cutting the site we also discovered that the neighbor has his storm water running across our site so more discussions are taking place to see who is responsible for the cost. The underpinning has now been completed and we will start some minor rectification work to the neighboring property. Once this is done we will build a separate core filled block party wall on the neighbors property and our dwelling block wall will sit approximately 20mm away. This was the only solution to the problem as the original party wall position was encroaching on our boundary by over 400mm therefore, if we where to retain the old wall we would have to reduce the size of the dwelling.

Thus far, things are moving along at a steady pace, the rain is making the clay site difficult to handle at times and the council inspector are circling the site like vultures waiting to slap us with a $10k fine if we track mud in the road. We have made friends with the local Sargent who drops by for a chat every now and then. So hopefully no traffic infringements for offloading materials on a no standing zone.

I am surprised by the mistakes made by architects and engineers. It appears they work off council records and they have ignored actual site conditions. These oversights have led to changes to the plans and extra cost to client.

I hope you find this of interest, if so I can keep you posted on future progress.  

评论
Thanks Sailesh!

I look forward to photos if you're so inclined and some plans if you like!

I'm sur emany will follow this thread with interest.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Cheers.  

评论
Cheers for sharing - may I ask a few details about the complex as well as to find out the approximate price per m of construction by the cheapest guy? (I've been very curious about costings in other states)

Do you guys build to cyclonic conditions?
Is there a lift in the complex?
how many beds/baths per unit?
what kind of roof?
blockwork with render or steel frame construction?
suspended slabs or floor joists?
how many square metres per unit?

I'm a couple of months away (likely sooner) from doing a 4 storey 12x2BR using suspended slabs reenforced blockwork with render, lift, pool, gym and skillion roof and the prices coming in are all over the place. I'll happily PM you details but of course, I don't want to put finer details on the forum (nor do I want to know your personal details - that's your business :) I just want to know what the overall story is in brisbane, because apparently there are some pretty crazy opportunities there atm with some people cashing out of darwin and moving their money towards brisbane based projects  

评论
I will get some photos up soon.

There are no lifts and no requirement to build to cyclonic conditions. I has a skillion roof and large steel canter levered awning over the footpath.

Construction is rendered block work and suspended concrete slab. Units require a fire management plan so it requires fire hose and smoke detectors. One of the unit also needs self closing windows in case of fire this is due to its distance from the exit.

There are three levels Basement, ground floor and first floor with each floor size at 400sqm. There is a 78sqm section of the roof that will have a concrete slab as well. Our price to build is around $1200 per sqm (including basement carpark area)for a turnkey finish. The finish is fairly standard with laminate kitchens and one a/c per unit. Building costs in Darwin would be higher due to increased cost of materials and labour.  

评论
Appartment construction photo

Photo taken soon after the site was cut. The wall on the left has been partially demolished and the underpinning completed.

We are also working on some of the main building footings and walls where possible. The amount of fill that has come out of this tiny site is amazing.  

评论
*whistles*

soil injection? sheet piling?  

评论
Sailesh Channan said: ↑
I will get some photos up soon.

There are no lifts and no requirement to build to cyclonic conditions. I has a skillion roof and large steel canter levered awning over the footpath.

Construction is rendered block work and suspended concrete slab. Units require a fire management plan so it requires fire hose and smoke detectors. One of the unit also needs self closing windows in case of fire this is due to its distance from the exit.

There are three levels Basement, ground floor and first floor with each floor size at 400sqm. There is a 78sqm section of the roof that will have a concrete slab as well. Our price to build is around $1200 per sqm (including basement carpark area)for a turnkey finish. The finish is fairly standard with laminate kitchens and one a/c per unit. Building costs in Darwin would be higher due to increased cost of materials and labour.Click to expand...
Things are interesting in Darwin at the moment :) I'll give you a breakdown in about 4 weeks when it's complete. I did design it to be cheap to build though and offset the cabinetry/manmade stone tops/tiles via importation which is a bit more drama but well worth it imo. I'm at about the same build per m cost for blocks, suspended slab, porcelain tiles, manmade stone tops, 3 aircons per, double skillion roof, pool, gym, fencing, landscaping, high ceilings, solar and about 560m per floor with first level parks

edit: fire hose or fire hydrant? I got around the booster/hydrant issue by moving the council fire hydrant to directly in front of the units and getting a deemed to comply from the fire department. So long as you're less than 60m to the most disadvantaged room by length of hose, you can save on the booster and knock 60 grand off the price  

评论
Aaron Sice said: ↑
*whistles*

soil injection? sheet piling?Click to expand...
Under pinning via pouring mass concrete in nine stages. We simply dig under the slab by going in 450mm and another 450mm out about the same depth as our footing. We leave a 50mm gap between the concrete and the slab for non shrink grout that is applied the next day.

It is a slow process as we can only pour two piers at a time to prevent movement to the old house. As an added precaution we places props under all the beams to reduce the load on the edge of the slab.

The process is now complete and no movement recorded.  

评论
Hi Sailesh,

Great post! I would really love to see how this job pans out as i am looking at doing 9 apartments over 3 levels myself in Melbourne.

My job's got a basement carpark and lift and i have opted to go for suspended slab with blockwork also as well as lightweight construction on the top floor. Getting engineering/working drawings at the moment so can't get exact costings but this post is really helpful!!

Keep up the good work

Morty  

评论
Lost more time due to the rain. It also does not help when the entire roof water from the neighbours property is draining into our site. I have put pressure on the neighbour to get it sorted asap.

However we have made progress with new gutter and removal of lead paint and repainting of the neighbouring property. We have also poured more footings and completed about 60% of the block work.

Next week we plan on getting the tank in place, complete the rest of the footings and block work and have the steel in place to pour the slab the following week.  

评论
Slab for the basement carpark was pored last week, a total of around 70 cubic meters of concrete was poured. Due to the cold weather it takes a bit longer than usual for the slab to be prepared. You can see from the photo how the concrete in the shade is still "green".

We also had to achieve falls to to various pits located along the perimeter so any water in the carpark can drain away.

The next step is to build the party wall on the neighbors side and then start the form work for the next slab.  

评论
Sailesh Channan said: ↑
Lost more time due to the rain. It also does not help when the entire roof water from the neighbours property is draining into our site. I have put pressure on the neighbour to get it sorted asap.Click to expand...
AS says all stormwater must be contained on site.

if you make a claim for damages, kindly inform them that their insurance won't cover them.

watch how fast they move.  

评论
Aaron Sice said: ↑
AS says all stormwater must be contained on site.

if you make a claim for damages, kindly inform them that their insurance won't cover them.

watch how fast they move.Click to expand...
We diverted all storm water onto the neighbors block as a temporary measure so this is not an issue for us anymore.

However, he still needs to seek permission from the owner of our site to drain his storm water.  

评论
Sailesh Channan said: ↑
We diverted all storm water onto the neighbors block as a temporary measure so this is not an issue for us anymore.

However, he still needs to seek permission from the owner of our site to drain his storm water.Click to expand...
Interesting site that one in Annerley,i had a look at that one on the corner several years ago,and someone from this site sent it to me several years ago,,but they never took up the offer i made,what do you think the finished footprint price per unit will be,next time you go for a drive up Annerley rd have a look at the 15% finished timber flats,on the corner you may know the site,i'm just waiting for the auction sign to go up..  

评论
willair said: ↑
Interesting site that one in Annerley,i had a look at that one on the corner several years ago,and someone from this site sent it to me several years ago,,but they never took up the offer i made,what do you think the finished footprint price per unit will be,next time you go for a drive up Annerley rd have a look at the 15% finished timber flats,on the corner you may know the site,i'm just waiting for the auction sign to go up..Click to expand...
Construction cost will be around $178k per unit.

Good progress this week with the start of the form work for the ground level slab. we expect the next slab to be poured within two weeks.  

评论
Sailesh Channan said: ↑
Construction cost will be around $178k per unit.

Good progress this week with the start of the form work for the ground level slab. we expect the next slab to be poured within two weeks.Click to expand...
Thanks for that,there was talk that the whole block, going up to the petrol station was is to be re-developed,i think you will do well,prime location-transport-schools-childcare-,i go to the comic outlet next door..  

评论
willair said: ↑
Thanks for that,there was talk that the whole block, going up to the petrol station was is to be re-developed,i think you will do well,prime location-transport-schools-childcare-,i go to the comic outlet next door..Click to expand...
That area needs a face lift and it is central to everything. I am sure it will get redeveloped over time.

The owner of the comic shop is a nice guy and likes to talk.  

评论
Sailesh Channan said: ↑
This is my first attempt at building a three story eight unit apartment complex. I thought I will post some information on progress for those that are interested.

To start with, we began tendering for the work around august last year after being referred to the client by Richard Luke (Mortgage Broker). We where not the cheapest however we ended up getting the contract as the client felt comfortable dealing with us.

We where due to start in October however, we discovered that the plans did not factor in a common party wall and the engineers has placed a water tank in an easement. This meant we had to go into negotiations with the neighbor to pull down a party wall and underpin his dwelling as we needed to excavate 3m on the boundary line for our basement car park and the neighbors dwelling is less than 1m from the boundary. After several discussions we finally got an agreement in late November. We did not see the point in cutting the site so late so we decided to start work in the new year.

The first step for the New Year was to appoint a site supervisor as we need someone on site on a permanent basis to ensure that things went smoothly. I ended up with a guy who has had a lot of experience with this kind of work and as a bonus he also has a lot of industry contacts.

The work site was always going to be a challenge due to its busy location on Ipswich Road, Annerley. We have been granted permission to use the council footpath for storage and scaffolding. The building foot print takes up almost all of the land.

The neighbor has been helpful by allowing us to place our site office on his block, use his power, toilet and water. Must be my charm:p

Since, cutting the site we also discovered that the neighbor has his storm water running across our site so more discussions are taking place to see who is responsible for the cost. The underpinning has now been completed and we will start some minor rectification work to the neighboring property. Once this is done we will build a separate core filled block party wall on the neighbors property and our dwelling block wall will sit approximately 20mm away. This was the only solution to the problem as the original party wall position was encroaching on our boundary by over 400mm therefore, if we where to retain the old wall we would have to reduce the size of the dwelling.

Thus far, things are moving along at a steady pace, the rain is making the clay site difficult to handle at times and the council inspector are circling the site like vultures waiting to slap us with a $10k fine if we track mud in the road. We have made friends with the local Sargent who drops by for a chat every now and then. So hopefully no traffic infringements for offloading materials on a no standing zone.

I am surprised by the mistakes made by architects and engineers. It appears they work off council records and they have ignored actual site conditions. These oversights have led to changes to the plans and extra cost to client.

I hope you find this of interest, if so I can keep you posted on future progress.Click to expand...
three story = high rise???  

评论
Ground floor slab got poured on Saturday which was a culmination of a hectic week. The police let us close down half the road however, as we are close to a school they would only allow road closure after 9:30am. They also required a traffic management plan with stop/go signal men.

So we decided to pour the slab on Saturday as the shorter colder days would have made the curing process longer.

The week we also finalized all our set outs for stairs, plumbers , electricians and steel fixing. The amount of steel that went in was amazing. The steel fixers thought the main podium was for a eight story building. However the engineers where adamant that they where correct and we persevered. We got the engineers approval on Friday afternoon in readiness for the big pour on Saturday. A total of 140 cubic meters of concrete went in. We started well however, the delivery rate started falling off half way which made things a bit frustrating. We set the rate at 40 cubic meters per hour however, they dropped down to 25 per hour. I have made a complaint and we will be charging the supplier for the extra hire time for the pump and signal personnel.

During the week we also had to close the road down for the construction of the sewer line to the property.

The rest of this week will involve back filling the basement level and setting up scaffolding for the bricklayers and getting blocks loaded onto the slab.  

评论
Looks great! One of the things I try and avoid is building on a main road and/or on the power lines side, there's always some extra expense and lollipoppers here cost 110k pa!

I forget how much steel is required with concrete in reactive soil. Here in WA you'd be unlucky to need half that....  
论坛热点
第一季度全澳房价均上涨!新州均价首破百万!但年轻人却都买不起房了?
今年第一季度,澳洲房价迎来了2009年以来最大的季度涨幅,新州住宅均价首次超过100万澳元。统计局6月15日(周二)公布的数据显示,今年第一季度,澳洲房屋价格上涨了5.4%
焕然一新!澳女祭出浴室清洁组合拳!网友:“我要试试!”
浴室绝对是大多数家庭最难清洁的卫生死角。最近,一位名叫Ella的用户在FB上分享了自己的清洁妙招:据悉,她主要是使用了一款在Bunnings出售的清洁剂:在使用了这款11.5
莫里森晒在英国酒吧合照遭大批澳人怒骂!“澳政府的封国令无耻、双标”
《每日邮报》今天报道,澳洲总理莫里森在英国酒吧外照的一张照片引发热议,有网友直呼“无耻“、“双标”。位于英国Cornwall的The Jamaica Inn hotel在Facebook上分享了
墨尔本试行禁烟令:这些地区首先禁烟 乱扔烟头更被重罚
(图/网页截图)墨尔本将开始在部分地区实施禁烟令,莫宁顿半岛的一些海滨和一个公园则率先成为试点。《先驱太阳报》14日报道,包括Mt Eliza Safety Beach,Ryeforshore
震惊!澳男暴打老丈人,起因竟是为了一罐腌菜...(组图)
说起澳洲的奇葩,大家可能会想到奇葩的食物。例如澳洲的袋鼠肉!或者是奇葩的交通规则:车洗不干净也将罚款$448,外加扣3分!今天要说的更奇葩!维州一男子暴打

Property Investment

Australia property Selling Hints | Sydney

澳大利亚Hi folks I recall ready somewhere about what are some simple tricks for making your place more attractive during a home open. Im seriously thinking of selling my little pad and want to maximise my efforts. Any hints greatly appreciated. 评论 ...

Property Investment

Australia property Re-zoning | Sydney

澳大利亚What would the chances of a NSW Local Council allowing a community titled development (homes, community buildings, etc) on an area zoned Protected Agricultural land? Does anyone have experience in this area? Looking at the local council LEP, ...