澳洲Australia property Any tax courses to do | Sydney

在澳大利亚


Hi All,

Just a bit of background information on myself. Finished my law degree this year. Currently practisting as a solicitor in a small law firm since April of this year. Just want to do a Tax course on the side so I can learn more about tax law, particularly in relation to property etc such as CGT, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good tax course (preferably online) that would assist me in learning all of these tax concepts? Or is a masters course at the uni the best way (do not want to go back to uni)? I want to start advising a bit in relation to tax matters and want to learn for my own future career.

Any and all recommendations and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.  

评论
good question..I would be interested to read replies to this also  

评论
The Tax Institute is very good for lawyers seeking to upgrade to get tax quals. Some elements may get prior recognition.  

评论
I did my Masters of Taxation at ATAX. University of NSW. Can be done by correspondence. EXTREMELY practical and course notes are "A" Class. Lecturers include practitioners and leaders within the tax profession and advocacy groups.  

评论
coastymike said: ↑
I did my Masters of Taxation at ATAX. University of NSW. Can be done by correspondence. EXTREMELY practical and course notes are "A" Class. Lecturers include practitioners and leaders within the tax profession and advocacy groups.Click to expand...
Thank you for your reply.

Is this course at a beginner's level and how long did it take you? Any qualifications you obtained from it?

I am really reluctant to go to university again, but if it is by way of correspondence and does not take too long, I would be interested.

Thanks  

评论
[email protected] said: ↑
The Tax Institute is very good for lawyers seeking to upgrade to get tax quals. Some elements may get prior recognition.Click to expand...
Thanks kindly. I will check it out. :)  

评论
coastymike said: ↑
I did my Masters of Taxation at ATAX. University of NSW. Can be done by correspondence. EXTREMELY practical and course notes are "A" Class. Lecturers include practitioners and leaders within the tax profession and advocacy groups.Click to expand...
Mike - You already had extensive experience and owned a practice and had tax quals. The Masters takes it further and is a very challenging technical qualifiction for advanced application. I would imagine a person seeking to learn about tax law and CGT etc might find it challenging and perhaps a second stage course.

ATAX also offer the subjects to attain basic quals if your degree isnt on par with TPB requirements. eg UK CA's arriving here need to do the Corps Law and Tax modules to get recognition and be accepted to local membership. Or if you did a business degree and skipped the tax subjects and did a marketing major. etc...  

评论
I would suggest you do the Taxation Institute course. First one is from the basics and assumes no knowledge. The 2nd one is pretty difficult. There is a 3rd one too if you can pass the 2nd.

If you do the first 2 you get 1 subject exemption for the ATAX masters - think it has been renamed now = no longer ATAX. This is a course I was going to enrol in, but felt I didn't know enough at this stage. It is pretty full on from what I have seen. expensive too as it would cost $28,000 now to do the masters.  

评论
I did CTA 1 foundations with The Tax Institute. Im in a non tax-related profession but wanted to learn more about tax basics and do my own tax properly. I found it was very useful and, I thought, pretty comprehensive. It covered the topic of CGT in some detail as well as basic individual/ business tax, FBT, different setups ie trusts etc, GST etc. I did it totally online/distance although they do have an option to do a seminar. It had a final hand written exam.
They contacted me recently to say they had changed CTA 2 prerequisites so that you didn't need any tax experience. Previously you needed some sort of tax related profession type experience.
Cheers, nat  

评论
Nattl3s said: ↑
I did CTA 1 foundations with The Tax Institute. Im in a non tax-related profession but wanted to learn more about tax basics and do my own tax properly. I found it was very useful and, I thought, pretty comprehensive. It covered the topic of CGT in some detail as well as basic individual/ business tax, FBT, different setups ie trusts etc, GST etc. I did it totally online/distance although they do have an option to do a seminar. It had a final hand written exam.
They contacted me recently to say they had changed CTA 2 prerequisites so that you didn't need any tax experience. Previously you needed some sort of tax related profession type experience.
Cheers, natClick to expand...
Thanks so much. That is great great help! I will definitely check the Tax Institute  

评论
Terry_w said: ↑
I would suggest you do the Taxation Institute course. First one is from the basics and assumes no knowledge. The 2nd one is pretty difficult. There is a 3rd one too if you can pass the 2nd.

If you do the first 2 you get 1 subject exemption for the ATAX masters - think it has been renamed now = no longer ATAX. This is a course I was going to enrol in, but felt I didn't know enough at this stage. It is pretty full on from what I have seen. expensive too as it would cost $28,000 now to do the masters.Click to expand...
Thanks so much for your reply my fellow lawyer :)  

评论
a1988 said: ↑
Thanks so much for your reply my fellow lawyer :)Click to expand...
You will have to joint the group LLT. Lawyers that Love Tax  

评论
Terry_w said: ↑
You will have to joint the group LLT. Lawyers that Love TaxClick to expand...
Yeh I will join. Would love to learn more :) The CGT and all the taxation implications tie in with conveyancing anyways.

Could you also possibly recommend any further conveyancing and/or transactional practice courses that would assist in broadening my understanding of conveyancing. I ultimately want to become a property lawyer.

Many thanks Terry :)  

评论
a1988 said: ↑
Yeh I will join. Would love to learn more :) The CGT and all the taxation implications tie in with conveyancing anyways.

Could you also possibly recommend any further conveyancing and/or transactional practice courses that would assist in broadening my understanding of conveyancing. I ultimately want to become a property lawyer.

Many thanks Terry :)Click to expand...
The trouble with these courses is that they are not very practical. They don't teach strategies, or not much. I would suggest you spend you CLE time doing the tax law stuff. A good place for this is TVed http://www.tved.net.au/  
论坛热点
ALDI特卖,1月12日和1月15日折扣!科学计算器仅$7.99(组图)
本期是“back to school”特辑,所以有很多文具及学习用品哦!科学计算器特价仅7.99刀、6.4米长3滑板板球套装特价24.99刀,内置喷水装置(点击图片可放大)
外国网友无意中发现父母的"暗黑秘密"…各种酸甜苦辣人生百态啊
话说,有些时候父母会有一些“暗黑的秘密”,怕影响孩子幼小的心灵,因此不想让他们知道。但孩子经常比大人以为的更会察言观色,没准从各种蛛丝马迹,就已经把实情了解得
华人回国怕被感染,竟在飞机上搭帐篷
疫情2020年开始时,我们曾经看见过各种千奇百怪的防疫措施。如今,Omicron在各国肆虐,回国航班一再熔断,大熔断,超级大熔断。这时有张机票已经不易,如何飞机上
冬天常吃“柚子”对身体有什么“影响”呢?很多人到现在都不清楚
原标题:冬天常吃“柚子”对身体有什么“影响”呢?很多人到现在都不清楚 冬天常吃“柚子”对身体有什么“影响”呢?很多人到现在都不清楚 大家好,欢迎大家关注
在澳洲,有人主动上门想收购您的房产,该如何处理?
您是否收到过不请自来的要约??有个人或机构想购买您的房产。在目前这个僧多粥少的时期真的很常见,但并非每个卖家都愿意接受。在做出任何决定之前,您需要问自己,是否

Property Investment

Australia property Selling Hints | Sydney

澳大利亚Hi folks I recall ready somewhere about what are some simple tricks for making your place more attractive during a home open. Im seriously thinking of selling my little pad and want to maximise my efforts. Any hints greatly appreciated. 评论 ...

Property Investment

Australia property Re-zoning | Sydney

澳大利亚What would the chances of a NSW Local Council allowing a community titled development (homes, community buildings, etc) on an area zoned Protected Agricultural land? Does anyone have experience in this area? Looking at the local council LEP, ...